The purpose of the Wells Mountain Foundation Scholarships is primarily to support programs and individuals in developing nations or other situations of extreme poverty. Each year the Foundation’s Empowerment Through Education program provides support to a number of students as they pursue various educational objectives.
Support is provided for post-secondary school (college, university, polytechnic, trade school). Support is not provided for graduate degrees or study in the US, UK or other developed countries.
Financial support is primarily to cover the costs of the education itself and directly related expenses including books and supplies. Scholarships are generally granted for the full period of study, however, recipients must maintain good grades and provide copies of all semester reports and grades as they are received.
Our Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Is 35 or under on March 1, 2021
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world*
- Is pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree or diploma
- Will be enrolled in a program of study that will benefit the community and/or contribute to the continued growth and advancement of his or her home country
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has demonstrated his or her commitment to giving back and has volunteered prior to applying
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to pursue his or her tertiary degree without financial assistance
Scholarships range from $300.US to a rare high of $3000.US and cover
- Tuition and fees.
- Books and materials.
- Room rent and meals.
Applications must be received by March 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. WMI Scholars are selected through an in-depth multi-step review process. The selected WMI Scholars will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our website homepage and the WMI Facebook page. Those who are not selected will also be notified after August 1.
*Scholars planning to study in the United States, Canada, Australia, UK or Western Europe will not qualify for a WMI Scholarship
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Essay (topic is stated on application form)
- 2021 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
APPLY FOR THE FOLLOWING SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY ABROAD
1. SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY IN FRANCE 2020-2021
2. SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY IN GERMANY 2020-2021