Press "Enter" to skip to content


admin 0

While it’s not a cheap study destination, Japan’s global reputation for innovation along with a line-up of top-quality universities means graduates will be well-prepared for employment

The Japanese government has pledged to increase the number of foreign students enrolled in its universities to 300,000 by 2020 – in 2017, an annual survey by the Japan Student Services Organisation (JASSO) put the figure at 267,042.

Despite the fact only a small proportion of Japan’s 127 million inhabitants can communicate in English, more than 60 undergraduate courses were taught in English during the 2016/17 academic year. With growing international communities thriving in major cities such as Tokyo, you certainly won’t feel alone.

As a friendly, safe and welcoming Asian country that’s easy (and affordable) to travel around, students will enjoy the remarkable Japanese culture that seamlessly combines its ancient traditions with the technological advancements of a modern society.

Japanese higher education places a high importance on personal development, so you’ll get many opportunities to pick up new skills, including learning to speak Japanese while you’re studying.

The cost of studying and living in Japan may be higher than in the UK, but it’s an investment that’s likely to pay off – a qualification from a leading Japanese institution provides you with excellent job prospects.

Japanese universities

The vast majority (approximately 80%) of the 780 higher education institutions in Japan are private, accounting for around 70% of English-taught undergraduate programmes.

However, there are also specialist schools and technology colleges that typically deliver vocational qualifications. Public universities are typically held in the highest esteem by the Japanese people.

This is especially true of the prestigious National Seven Universities – former imperial colleges that continue to lead the way in terms of research excellence. As Japan’s equivalent to the British Russell Group or the American Ivy League, it includes:

  • The University of Tokyo
  • Kyoto University
  • Osaka University
  • Nagoya University
  • Tohoku University
  • Hokkaido University
  • Kyushu University.
  • The University of Tokyo (23rd)
  • Kyoto University (35th)
  • Tokyo Institute of Technology (58th)
  • Osaka University (67th)
  • Tohoku University (77th).

Japan and the UK have a long history of research collaboration and 12 institutions, including the University of Liverpool, University of Nottingham, Osaka University and Kyoto University, have partnered together through RENKEI to form a knowledge exchange.

The International University of Japan, the first graduate school to open in the country, offers all its courses in English.

The academic year in Japan typically runs from April to March (with breaks for the summer, winter and spring holidays) – although to become more attractive to students from overseas, more courses are now beginning in September.

Degree courses in Japan

Bachelors (or Gakushi) degrees typically last for four years, with dentistry, medicine and veterinary courses usually requiring at least six years of study. Most of these longer programmes are not fully taught in English at this time, so some grasp of Japanese would be expected.

Courses are primarily taught in Japanese, so if you’d like to study in English, you’ll need to check which institutions cater to international students and prove your language ability. If you’re planning on studying your preferred degree in Japanese, you’ll need to pass a proficiency test before being admitted onto a programme.

The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) is used by universities to evaluate your basic academic ability and Japanese language skills. It’s available to take in the June and November of each year and incorporates the following four subjects:

  • Japanese as a foreign language
  • science (physics, chemistry and biology)
  • Japan and the world
  • Mathematics.

In addition to taking this undergraduate test, you’ll need to be 18 years old or above and have completed 12 years of school education in your home country to apply.

For a list of universities offering Bachelors programmes taught in English, see the Japan Student Services Organisation (JASSO) and Japan Study Support (JPSS).

Masters degrees

Only a small proportion of students in Japan are engaged in postgraduate study, but with the country’s dedication to research and development, courses are being offered by graduate schools and universities.

Masters degrees in Japan typically take two years to complete, with students gaining a specific amount of credits from core units through a combination of lectures, group work and tutorials. The final semester revolves around a dissertation, with the research project taken into account along with your final exam results.

The main language of instruction is Japanese, but an increasing number of universities are offering Masters courses in English to encourage international students to apply. Japanese language courses are available free of charge to postgraduate students, but they don’t count towards your course credits.

To be admitted onto a Masters course, you’ll need to hold a Bachelors degree or international equivalent and provide two letters of recommendation. Some universities will ask you to sit an entrance exam. You’ll also be expected to prove your proficiency in English or Japanese, according to the method of course delivery.


Doctoral programmes are also available in Japan and usually take a minimum of three years to complete. However, if your research area is one of dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary science or medicine, it can take four years.

Most PhDs will start in April, in keeping with the Japanese academic calendar.

You’ll need a Masters qualification or international equivalent, and at least two letters of recommendation from senior university staff for entry onto a course.

It’s advisable to learn at least some Japanese to converse with your peers, if not your supervisor who may have been selected due to their English language ability.

To search for available Doctoral programmes in English, see JASSO and JPSS.

Student exchanges

Most Japanese institutions have an exchange agreement with overseas universities, so if you’re enrolled at a UK university, you may be able to study in Japan for part of your programme. Speak to your international office about any partnerships that may exist.

For example, undergraduate students at The University of Sheffield can spend a year studying at one of twenty possible destinations including Kyushu University and the University of Tokyo, through its School of East Asian Studies. During your programme, you can take advantage of upper-intermediate level Japanese language courses to fully immerse yourself in the country.

Course fees

Studying in Japan isn’t cheap, but costs aren’t as high as in the UK or USA. Annual tuition fees at public universities range from £3,000-£6,000, while at private institutions this could rise to as high as £9,000 per year.

You can also expect to pay an admission fee, which varies according to each university. Contact the admissions department to find out the exact amount you’ll pay for your course.

More than half of undergraduate courses taught in English are based in Tokyo, one of the world’s most expensive cities. However, as the second ranked city in the QS Best Student Cities 2018, international students usually find it a great place to live. Through some research, you can find affordable accommodation (possibly through your university), while public transport costs are reasonable.

Students at universities in regions such as Tohoku and Kyushu will find the cost of living lower than the estimated £650 per month you’ll need to fund your stay in Tokyo.

Funding to study in Japan

There are a number of Japanese scholarships available to international students.

If you’re a British national under the age of 24 (in the year you wish to study in Japan) with 12 years of school education, you can apply for Japanese Government MEXT Undergraduate Scholarships. Applications are made via the Embassy of Japan in the UK from between mid-April and mid-June. Successful candidates receive around £800 per month for five to seven years, including a one-year Japanese language preparation course. The scholarship is available in specific fields of study within the categories of social sciences and humanities, and natural sciences.

For UK students looking to study for a Masters in Japan, the Japanese government also runs the MEXT Postgraduate Scholarship Programme. Applications are accepted from mid-April until early June in the year before you propose to study. Those aged under 35 holding a Bachelors degree are eligible to apply for the award, which covers both taught and research courses. You don’t need to speak Japanese for most subject areas.

You’ll also find many leading Japanese universities have set up their own scholarship schemes for foreign students. For example, Kyushu University offers a range of scholarships as well as exemption and deferment programmes for tuition and enrolment fees. Read more at Kyushu University – Tuition, fees and scholarships.

Student visas

International students who intend to study in Japan for more than three months will need to obtain a visa. Once you’ve been accepted by a university, the institution will apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the Japanese Ministry of Justice on your behalf.

The document is only valid for three months from the date of issue, so you’ll need to visit your country’s Japanese embassy in person after obtaining it.

The Embassy of Japan in the UK is based in London, but those living in Scotland and the North East of England can contact the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh.

For UK visa applicants, you should be aware it takes around four working days for the application to be processed by the embassy.

You’ll need to bring:

  • a valid passport
  • a completed and signed Visa Application Form with a recent colour passport photo (taken within the last six months)
  • the original and a photocopy of the Certificate of Eligibility issued by your institution.

For more information on Japanese study visas, visit the Embassy of Japan in the UK.

Upon arrival at a Japanese airport, you’ll have your fingerprints and a photograph taken in order to receive a Zairyū Card. This residence card is designed for those staying in the country for the mid to long term. You’ll also need to pay for national health insurance, which works out at around £130 per year.

Read more about the procedures for entering and residing in the country at Study In Japan – Immigration Procedures.

How to apply

International undergraduate and postgraduate students can search and apply for a place at a Japanese university by visiting its website. Each university sets its own requirements for entry and application deadlines vary, so you’ll need to adhere to these individual terms before being accepted onto a course.

See Study In Japan – Planning. You’ll also find advice on selecting a university.

Language requirements

With most university courses taught in Japanese, you’ll need to prove you level of proficiency. The majority of universities ask students to pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). This can be taken from the UK in London, Edinburgh and Cardiff.

However, with a growing number of courses now available in English, you may not need to have a strong grasp of Japanese to study in the country. Free Japanese language courses are typically offered to international students in advance of their degree programme or even alongside the other course units.

For English-taught degree courses, if you’re not a native English speaker, you may be asked to submit your English proficiency results (such as IELTS) as part of the application process.

Why study in Japan?

Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in Asia and world and boasts of one of the best educational systems. The higher education system is exemplary in the world. 

The higher education fee is cheaper in Japan in comparison to some of the European countries and USA. International students are also eligible for many scholarships program which are provided by the Japanese government.

One of the crucial takeaways is the rich cultural heritage. Japan is one of the few countries in the world that has managed to maintain a perfect balance between the advancements of the modern world and the traditions of its past. 

Top 5 Universities in Japan

According to the latest QS World ranking, the top 5 universities in Japan are:

  • The University of Tokyo
  • Kyoto University
  • Tokyo Institute of Technology
  • Osaka University
  • Tohoku University

Examination required for Admission in Japan

Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) is an exam which was introduced in 2002 by JASSO (Japan Student Services Organization).  The exam is conducted twice every year, in June and in November. Apart from Japan, this exam is conducted in 17 cities outside Japan. 

Language Test Requirement

At most of the universities in Japan, students are taught in Japanese. Some courses may be offered in English as well but the majority courses require an applicant to have proficiency in Japanese.

EJU in itself tests an applicant’s knowledge of the Japanese language and in the respective subject. Some universities may require a separate JLPT score.

To test an applicant’s knowledge and proficiency of Japanese language, Japan Educational Exchange and Services (JEES) also conducts Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). 


Konichiwa! Are you also interested in studying in Japan? Here we take a closer look at what it means and what you should think about if you want to study in Japan.

Why study in Japan?

There are many reasons to study in Japan. The first and foremost is the cultural experience. Japan has one foot firmly rooted in East Asian culture but they also have a strong influence of Western and American culture. However on top of that you have a truly unique Japanese culture that don’t resemble anything else.

Japanese pop culture attracts loads of young people around the world. Many students learnt their first Hiragana characters while reading Japanese Manga and first got exposed to the spoken language when watching Anime. J-pop, Cosplay, and Japanese fashion all have a strong appeal as do the more traditional culture with Samurais, temples and ancient stories.

Japan is also the home of some of the world’s leading tech and car companies such as Sony, Nikon, Canon, Hitachi, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan etc. Just going to the toilet in Japan can be a technological experience. At the same time Japan is also a very traditional society where job applications are written by hand and salaries often are paid in cash. Simple things that you can do online in many countries might require a personal visit to an office in Japan.

Japan is a very safe country with low crime rates and most people are very polite. They also expect you to behave in a similar manner, but if you look like a foreigner you can get away with a lot. Japanese service is among the best in the world and you never pay tip. Food is excellent, even if you go to a cheap place or just buy some discounted ready food in the evening at the local supermarket.

There is so much to do in Japan once you get to know the place and the language better. Living in Japan can be frustrating at times but most people will miss it when they go home. Nowhere else can offer you such food and service, such unlimited shopping and crazy activities in such a safe and polite environment. It is hard to fully grasp Japan even if you have been there for a long time there will always be more to discover.

The Japanese Education System

Japan has one of the most highly educated and skilled populations in the world. This is one of the key factors for the country’s post-war economic takeoff and rapid growth.

There are private and public schools at all levels from kindergarten to university. Public schools charge very affordable fees and are popular choices for compulsory education up to lower secondary levels (junior high school). From upper secondary level education, a private school can be an investment for the fierce competition for university entry. Job opportunities are closely linked to your university degree.

International education in Japan

Japan is experiencing a “super-aging” society with a shrinking population, therefore the country is ambitious to make education international to attract foreign talents and replenish the declining domestic workforce.

While more universities start to offer some programs and courses in English, Japanese language is still essential in all aspects from social integration, cultural assimilation to academic and professional interaction.

Japanese language schools play a critical role to prepare foreigners culturally and socially to function in Japanese society, to pursue study higher education, and to participate in the employment market.

Japanese language schools

The Japanese language is the gateway to Japan, whether you want to study, work or just get the most out of your stay. Therefore most students start by studying Japanese at a language school. You can take a short term language courses of 2-12 weeks or you can sign up for a long term program.

Japanese people are not very good at English and the universities only offer a few programs in English. So if you want to study in Japan for a longer period of time then you had better start by learning Japanese. Language schools usually teach four semesters of 10 weeks per year. If you are a beginner you can study 80 weeks at a Japanese language school and that might be needed if you want to continue in a higher education program taught in Japanese.

Once you master the Japanese language you can continue your studies at a Japanese university or a Senmon Gakko – a Japanese vocational College. Read more about Japanese Language Schools in TokyoKyoto and Osaka.

Universities in Japan

Japanese universities offer 4-year undergraduate programs, 2-years graduate programs, and 3-4 years of doctoral programs. The academic year starts in April and ends in March, with summer vacation from mid-July to the beginning of September, and winter vacation from the end of December to the beginning of January.

The highest-ranking universities are Tohoku University, Kyoto University, and the University of Tokyo. On our Japan page, you can find a list of universities in Japan that ranks the top 100 in the country.

Most programs are taught in Japanese but nowadays universities often offer some programs in English as well. We can help you apply to undergraduate programs in English at Yamanashi Gakuin University (Global Business, Political Science, Arts, Japan Studies) and Bachelor and Master programs in Engineering at Kyoto University of Advanced Science.

Vocational college – Senmon Gakko

Another popular school form in Japan is vocational schools, also known as junior colleges/Senmon Gakko, with a focus on practical training in specialized professions. International students often attend these schools to study practical subjects such as game design, anime, manga, music, dance, illustration etc. However, Senmon Gakkos also teach subjects such as industry, agriculture, nursing, education and social welfare, business, and homemaking.

Most Senmon Gakko programs take two years and give you a Diploma that allows you to transfer to a university. Three-year programs give you an Advanced Diploma which gives you eligibility to graduate school.

Foreigners who want to stay and work in Japan after their studies must have either a Senmon Gakko diploma or an undergraduate degree from a university (in Japan or abroad). To work in a Japanese company or study at a Senmon Gakko you must start by learning Japanese as explained above.

When and how to apply?

University application

Most universities in Japan recruit twice a year, for the spring semester starting in April, and the autumn semester in September. There is not a unified admission platform for students to apply centrally. Each university sets its own schedule, so the application deadline can be different from school to school, usually 6 months before the start of the semester. Nowadays many universities open their applications online and you can find their application deadlines on their website.

Here is an example of the application schedule and procedures for Japanese universities:

ScheduleSpring SemesterAutumn Semester
Submit the initial application online and pay the application feeNovember March
Post additional application documents to schoolDecemberApril
Notice of admissionFebruaryJune
Tuition payment and visa application:February – MarchJuly – August
School startAprilSeptember

The documents you need to submit with your application are usually:

  • Application form
  • Personal statement
  • Official transcript from high school and/or university
  • Graduation certificate
  • Valid standardized test scores (SAT/ACT/TOEFL/IELTS/EJU)
  • Letters of Recommendation
  • Passport photocopy

Japanese language school application

Japanese Language Schools have a quarter system where each quarter is ten weeks long. The main start dates are April and October, but many language schools also have start dates in January and July. Some schools have short term courses start every month and more Westernized schools like GenkiJacs have start dates every Monday for non-beginner students.

Short term courses can be a couple of weeks up to 3 months long, without a student visa. For long term courses (20+ weeks) you need to start your application 6 months in advance to most language schools due to the visa application that is done through the school.

Here is an example of the application schedule and procedures for Japanese Language Schools:

Course startAprilJulyOctoberJanuary
Application document preparationAugust – OctoberDecember – FebruaryFebruary – AprilJune – August
Deadline for submission & application fee paymentEnd of NovemberMiddle of MarchBeginning of JuneMiddle of September
Notice of ResultEnd of FebruaryEnd of MayEnd of AugustEnd of November
Tuition fee payment and final visa applicationMarchJuneSeptemberDecember

Example of application documents needed: 

  • Application form ( School prescribed )
  • Personal record ( School prescribed )
  • Letter of financial support ( School prescribed )
  • Diploma / degree copy of the highest level education
  • Passport copy ( Photo page and all Japan entry stamp pages if applicable )
  • Photos <6 – 8 photos> Size : 4cm X 3cm ( Passport photo size )
  • Guarantor’s bank balance certificate ( Amount should be enough for your total cost )
  • Guarantor’s employment and income certificate
  • Relationship certificate between you and your guarantor

We can help you to choose and apply to schools in Japan. Fill out an information request to get help!

The Japanese language

Japanese language

Is it difficult to learn Japanese or is it easy? The answer is that it is both difficult and easy. Japanese pronunciation is rather easy. Japanese consists of 46 syllables that can only be pronounced in one way. Almost all of those syllables exist in English and other European languages so you can master the pronunciation rather quickly and people will often understand you when you read Romanized written in our alphabet. Japanese also use thousands of English loan words, gairaigo, that has been adapted to Japanese pronunciation. Once you master this you will have immediately have access to a huge vocabulary.

The challenge when learning Japanese is the grammar, the levels in the language and not least the writing. Written Japanese consists of three writing languages. Hiragana and Katakana has one character per syllable where Katakana is only used for loan words. Those two writing languages are quite easy to learn but Kanji, the third writing language, consisting of a couple of thousand Chinese characters is much more challenging.

At Japanese language schools you can study Japanese from beginner level to advanced level. However many schools ask that beginners have at least a passive knowledge of Hiragana and Katakana when you start a long term course in Japan. You can learn those on your own by for example memorizing one character per day. Here are some resources for learning Hiragana and Katakana on your own.

JLPT and EJU exams

JLPT – Japanese Language Proficiency Test

The most representative Japanese language test is the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). The test has 5 levels, staring from the basic level N5 to the highest level N1. These levels are roughly equivalent to CEFR levels A1 to C1.

The test is held twice a year for non Japanese native speakers who would like to use Japanese language accademically and professionally. The test in July is only for advanced levels of N1 and N2, and the December test is for all levels. However, in some countries the test is only given once a year in July and then all levels can be taken at this time.

It is estimated that to pass N3 the intermediate level one needs about 700-1000 study hours, equal to about a one year course in Japanese language school, and about 1200 – 1600 study hours, 1,5 – 2 years study for N2 level of academic and professional sufficiency.

JLPT N2 is required for study in vocational schools (Senmon Gakko).

EJU – the Japanese University Exam

EJU is the examination for Japanese University Admission for International students, which is required for admission to many university undergraduate programs.

EJU is held twice a year, June and November, both in Japan and abroad (primarily in Asia). EJU consists of 4 subjects: Japanese as a foreign language, science, Japan and the World, and Mathematics. The university and the program you are applying for will decide which of the four test subjects you should take.

The Japanese as a Foreign Language secton is administered in Japanese only, while the other subjects are available in both English and Japanese. 

Our Japanese language school partners have college/university preparatory courses to help students pass JLPT and/or EJU, and help them with the application to higher education institutions in Japan. Fill out an information request to get help to find a suitable Japanese language school.

How much does it cost to study in Japan?

Tuition fees in Japan

Schools in Japan charge an admission fee in the first year, and tuition fees and some other smaller fees per semester. Japanese law regulates that all schools have the same tuition for domestic students and international students.

A one year course at a Japanese language school costs approximately 700000 Yen and admission fee about 50000 Yen in the first semester. In total approximately 750000 Yen (about $7000 USD).

Public universities have unified prices: annual tuition fee of 535800 Yen, admission fee of 28200 Yen, plus other minor fees, about 850000 Yen (about $8000 USD) in total for the first year of undergraduate programs. Private universities vary on tuition fees and charge more than public universities up to twice as much, about 1600000 Yen (about $15000 USD) per year, but prices differ from school to school.

Senmon Gakko (vocational college) on average cost 1240000 Yen (about $11700 USD) for the first year, including admission fees. Programs of medicine, health, and art cost around 10% more while humanity programs about 10-15% less.

Living costs

On top of the tuition fees, you will probably need about 100000-150000 Yen per month to cover your living expenses such as accommodation, food, and travel, etc. If you study in a smaller city where the accommodation and travel costs are low you might get by on less, but in Tokyo, it is easy to spend much more especially if you live in your own apartment.

Many people think that Japan is expensive but this is not entirely true. Shopping and food is often cheaper than in Europe, not least considering the quality that you get. Student accommodation, on the other hand, can be a bit costly in Tokyo considering the size and standard that you get.

Scholarships for studying in Japan

You will need your own funding to support your study in Japan. However, the good news is that there are plenty of scholarships available for international students to apply for. It is possible to get a scholarship that covers part of your costs on degree programs at Japanese Universities. However, it is much harder to get scholarships for Japanese language courses and exchange semesters.

Some scholarships are long term up to a year, paid monthly, while other scholarships are one time amounts covering 25-100% percentage of your semester tuition fee. Most scholarships are only eligible for enrolled students with a student visa, which means you will have a better chance to apply for after having started your study in Japan. The scholarships are usuall awarded based on a combination of academic performance, extracurricular activities, and financial needs.

Here are some scholarships that international students can apply for to study in Japan: 

  • Scholarships by Mext: for degree students only
  • Scholarships by Jasso: for degree students, japanese language students, and exchange students 
  • Scholarships by local governments 
  • Scholarships by international associations
  • Scholarships by private foundations 
  • Scholarships by language schools and universities 

Here are some scholarship links for studying in Japan:

Work in Japan as a student

Students that have obtained a work permission are allowed to work part time in Japan. Then you can work 28 hours per week on school weeks and 40 hours per week during semester breaks. Students are not allowed to take any jobs related to night clubs or adult entertainment. This even includes being a DJ or working as a dishwasher in a night club.

Most students work in shops or restaurants where you can earn around 1000 Yen per hour. However it can be hard to find a job before you speak decent Japanese. The best paid jobs for students is often to work as a teacher in your native language. Either at a school or just give private conversation lessons in a café then it is not unusual to earn up to 3000 Yen per hour.

The work permit is a sticker in your passport. To obtain it you must be in Japan on a student visa. The easiest way to get the permit is to apply directly at the immigrations in the airport when you first arrive in Japan. Then you can get it immediately. Otherwise you will be stuck in the Japanese bureaucracy where you will need several visits to the Immigration Bureau and at least 3 weeks processing time before you can get your work permit.

Student visa to study in Japan

Many nationalities can take a short language course in Japan for up to 90 days on visa waiver. Some nationalities can even extend this with another 90 days. Read more about visa free entry to Japan.

If you want to study in Japan for a longer period of time you will need to apply for a student visa. This procedure starts with applying to and becoming accepted by a school in Japan including sending the school a number of visa related documents. You will need to apply to your school approximately 6 months before the course starts. Then they will send you a CoE, Certificate of Eligibility, about 1 month before your course starts. With this document you can do the final visa application at the Japanese Embassy in your home country.

Read more in our step by step guide on how to apply for a student visa to Japan.

Insurance when you study abroad in Japan

It is always important to have a good insurance when you study abroad and Japan is no exception. We recommend Dr Walter’s Protrip World insurance.

If you are studying on a student visa in Japan you will be asked to pay a small monthly fee for the national health insurance. However, this is no replacement for a real insurance as it only covers 70% of your health care fees and nothing else. Some schools offer a top up insurance covering the remaining 30% but most of those insurances still don’t give you a complete coverage. You need an insurance that also covers transportation, accidents, theft, liability, legal costs etc.

Accommodation in Japan

The standard for student housing is simple in Japan. Rooms are small and insulation is poor. You will depend on your AC for heat in the winter and cooling in the summer.

Most students stay in either host families, share houses or apartments. We can help you to find accommodation in Japan at discounted prices.

Can you help me to study in Japan?

Yes, we have helped students study in Japan since 2006. We and our partners can help you to choose and apply to language schools all over Japan and selected universities that offers programs in English. Fill out our request form and we will send you more information about studying in Japan.

Summary – how to study in Japan in 7 steps

  1. Find a suitable school in Japan. We recommend recommend that you start by learning Japanese in a Japanese Language School. Even if you want to study in English in Japan, learning Japanese is the key to enjoy and succeed in your life in Japan.
  2. Apply to your school at least six months before your course starts if you want to study on a student visa. Fill out an info request if you want help to choose and apply to a suitable school.
  3. Your school will then help you to apply for a student visa.
  4. Book student housing. You can do this a month or two before you arrive. You will always be able to find accomodation in Japan but it can be hard to book it many months in advance since students usually have a running contract with 30 days notice.
  5. Get a student insurance.
  6. Arrive in Japan and don’t forget to apply for a work permit in the airport. That is the easiest way to get the permit if you arrive on a student visa.
  7. Enjoy your studies in Japan. Be prepared for an initial culture shock. So stay calm and open minded, explore and enjoy!












%d bloggers like this: