Studying in Hong Kong is the thoughtful though any aspiring student can think of. Whether you want to study at graduate level or do research, Hong Kong welcomes every student under study visa. The Hong Kong Study visa allows you to live and study till the date of visa approval. To apply for the Study visa, the students need to go through the proper criteria of eligibility. Check out the basic requirements and benefits of studying in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is the home of leading International Asian university, (University of Hong Kong, HKU) and truly a higher educational powerhouse. The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government is determined to make Hong Kong a global education hub, thereby amending the Student Visa application process to invite talented students from across the globe.
Why Hong Kong?
Hong Kong has the blend of both the eastern and western cultures. Combination of immense job opportunities, vibrant environment and International reorganization helps student in enriching their study life. Hong Kong provides the platform for the overseas students who want to pursue in the field of research and keen in participating in exchange activities. The students with exceptional talent are provided with scholarship programs offered by the HKSAR Government or any other reputed organizations.
- Chinese and English both are the official languages of Hong Kong and English language is used as a teaching medium in the Universities and Colleges.
- Hong Kong is considered as Educational having the world’s top 50 universities.
- Concoction of eastern and western culture. The diversification in Hong Kong culture can be seen everywhere
Types of Student Visa Programs
Before applying to student visa, the applicant must be sure about which category is he/she looking for. The student visa types depend on type and duration of your course, you select. The applicant must access visa before landing in Hong Kong. The visa duration and requirements for every student visa program is different. Check out the various student visa programs:
- Full-time and Long-term Graduate course
- Full-time Postgraduate course
- Part-time graduate/postgraduate Programs
- Short-term graduate and Postgraduate programs
- Exchange Study programs at Bachelor level or higher.
Hong Kong Student Visa Requirements
To enter Hong Kong under Student visa category, the students need to meet the eligibility requirements. If you are willing to study in Hong Kong, you have to go through every single requirement to apply:
- The student should be less than 20 years of age, if they are considering Hong Kong for the secondary education.
- The age of student should be in between 5 years and 8 months to 11 years for primary education.
- The applicant must be able to meet the fees of course study, accommodation, living costs of the daily routine without recourse to public funds.
- The applicant must have acceptance letter from the university confirming he/she has been enrolled for the course of study in Hong Kong.
- The entrance in public schools other than English Foundation Schools and Direct Subsidy Scheme Schools is restricted; therefore, the applicant should be enrolled to a private school under the Education Ordinance or Post Secondary Colleges Ordinance.
- The applicant is taking admission in full-time locally- approved post-secondary programme that includes short-term course of study or part-time locally-approved taught post-graduate local porgramme.
Documents requirement for Student Visa
- The applicant has to submit a complete application form (Form ID 995 A) with signature and required documents.
- The sponsor, who is sponsoring the student, has to fill the complete form (Form ID 995B) with signature on it.
- Two latest photographs of the applicant fasten on the application form.
- The letter of acceptance from the educational Institution must be submitted.
- The copy of the
- The applicants who are less than 18 years of age, has to provide evidence related to their living arrangement.
- The score card of any of the English exams like IELTS, TOEFL as a proof for the English language proficiency.
Hong-Kong Student Visa processing Time
The average processing time of Hong Kong Student Visa is six weeks for study visa. Your process will not be started by the Immigration Department of Hong Kong unless you have submitted all the required information and documents that are required. The approval of visa application is done by Immigration Department and is elective.
Hong-Kong Student Visa Fee
The fee of non-localities students who wish to study in Hong Kong depends on the course of study, they choose. The tuition fee for non-local students varies from HK$ 90,000 to HK$265,000 per year.
Benefits of studying in Hong Kong
There are plenty of benefits studying in Hong Kong. check out why Hong Kong is an education hub for International students.
a) The tuition cost is way less than the developed countries like UK, USA etc.
b) students can experience cosmopolitan life in Hong Kong.
c) Three Institution of Hong Kong ranks in the ‘Top 50 under 50’ rankings of the QS World Rankings.
d) Hong Kong education system offers long-term and short-term educational programs to the students.
e) From best food to the numerous shopping points, students will get carefree and healthy environment here.
Students who wish to study in Hong Kong; it is considered to be an ultimate destination because it is one of the most desirable cities in the Asia. Its economy is one of successful economies in whole of Asia. The students apply for Hong Kong Student visa in order to study in Hong Kong as it would much easier for them to get employed as the nation offers numerous employment opportunities to the overseas nationals having skill and education.
The other main reason why students prefer to study in Hong Kong is because it is living cost is comparatively much cheaper when compared to other nations such as Japan in Asia. In this nation, everything right from food to travel and also entertainment, the students need not pay higher amount. This nation has major tourist attractions such as the Giant Buddha, Victoria Harbour and many more.
Step by step requirements to study in Hong Kong
Get a Sponsor: The students before applying for Hong Kong Student visa, they should first nominate a local sponsor. This local sponsor can either be the educational institution who has granted an acceptance of the applicant or an individual who should be of legal age (18 and above) a Hong Kong resident and acquainted to the applicant who is financially capable to support him/her. In such scenari, an Declaration by Financial Sponsor should be completed as well as signed.
A parent/Guardian should also authorize the sponsor to serve as the guardian throughout the applicant’s stay. This is especially important if the applicant is below 18 years old.Fill necessary form is one of the major requirements for Hong Kong Student Visa.The application form should be accompanied with
- Awards, Transcripts, and certificates
- A photocopy of letter of admission from preferred university of Hong Kong from which the student intend to study and also letter of acceptance to the specific course.
- Photocopy of the student’s travel document which should contain personal credentials, date of issue, date of expiry and/or details of any re-entry visa held (if applicable).
- One passport sized photograph
Proof of financial standing such as proof of Scholarship funds, passbooks and bank statements. And other documents needed is
- Highest Public Examination/Academic Result-Photocopy
- Other qualifications such as IELTS or TOEFL (if any)-Photocopy
- Identity Card or equivalent (if any)-Photocopy
Top 5 Reasons to Study in Hong Kong
A Fun and Dynamic City
There’s a reason why Hong Kong was ranked #10 in QS’s Best Student Cities 2019. People from around the world come to Hong Kong to study, work and live, attracted by the culture and heritage, and it’s unique fusion of East meets West. It’s a fast-paced city that never sleeps, and you’ll never run out of things to do here.
Most people think of Hong Kong as a ‘concrete jungle’. However, there’s another side to the city. Did you know that 70% of Hong Kong is actually national parkland. Efficient public transit makes it easy to travel to spectacular spots for outdoor activities on the mainland and on some of the many outlying islands. Want to escape city life for a few days? Go cycling, sit on a beach, or head up a mountain.
World Class Education
All of Hong Kong’s 13 universities are internationally recognized, and five are ranked in the Top 100 worldwide (QS Rankings 2019). Hong Kong’s university degrees include Bachelor’s degrees and postgraduate degrees, with both research-based programs and post-grad courses. Universities in Hong Kong are often world-leading in technical and engineering subjects.
Most university programs are taught in English, and English is widely spoken in and around the city.
A Land of Opportunities
Hong Kong is one of the world’s leading international financial centres and, due to its proximity to China and other Asian markets, is a hub for corporations and start-ups. Seventy of the world’s largest banks have a base in Hong Kong. Studying in Hong Kong can help you develop a social and professional network that can help you kickstart your career.
There are a number of scholarships and awards offered by the Government, post-secondary institutions and other public or private organizations to international students to help finance their studies in Hong Kong.
Learn Cantonese, or even Mandarin
Cantonese is the local language of Hong Kong, but with many migrants from China also living, studying and working here, Mandarin (the most spoken language in the world) is also widely spoken. Speaking a second language looks great on your resume!
5 REASONS TO STUDY IN HONG KONG
One of the most anticipated questions since I moved to Hong Kong is definitely “why Hong Kong?” Some of them were simply curious, while the rest thought that studying in Hong Kong, the well-known shopping and culinary paradise, is simply odd. I did google about studying in Hong Kong and was quite surprised that there weren’t many posts about this. So, here’s a list of reasons that brought me to this city at the first place:
1. TOP UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD
Hong Kong only has a few government funded universities and apparently, 5 of them, are in the top 100 universities according to QS World’s ranking. Yes, I know, these kind of rankings do not guarantee anything but, to say the least, it proves that Hong Kong education quality can compete on a global level.
2. THE MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IS ENGLISH
The next question is usually, “so, you speak Cantonese??” Hmm, sadly no.. Hong Kong teaching learning activities in all universities are conducted in English for everyone, including the local students.
It’s definitely an advantage if you can speak Cantonese. But, I have to admit that the English level of Hong Kongers, be it student or shop keeper, are much better than other surrounding Asian countries, such as Japan and South Korea. Despite all the struggles and frustration, I survived with neither Mandarin nor Cantonese.
3. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS GET SUPPORT
As far as I know, most of the top universities in Hong Kong have an office specifically dedicated to handle the international students, including overseas admission, visa matters, introductory activities and international events. Recently, my campus launched a campaign called Go Global that heavily encourage internationalisation in campus.
4. STUDENT LIFE IS AFFORDABLE
Yes, it is! Hong Kong might be one of the most expensive cities to live in but as a student, we get so many privileges. Our student residence price, subsidised by government, is around 4 times cheaper than renting a modest apartment. And, the international students are guaranteed a place for at least 2 years.
The average of living cost, excluding the rent, is about 500 – 650 USD/month whereas I do survive a decent life with less than that. Although the international student tuition fee is 3x the local’s, it is still relatively cheaper than US, UK, Australia or even Singapore.
5. ASIA’S FINANCIAL CENTRE
Hong Kong is the home to many financial institutions, multinational companies and business hubs. Countless of business opportunities and mentors are available. It is the gateway to Southeast Asia and China markets. These factors are pretty much the reasons why universities allocate a lot of resources and fundings to their Business colleges. So, if you want to study Business, Hong Kong is definitely one option to consider.
Indeed, Hong Kong is still a less popular destination for studying compared to USA, UK, Australia or even China but, this city is not bad at all. As I mentioned in the previous post, Hong Kong might not be for everyone, but as long as you can catch up with its fast pace and a little bit of unfriendliness, this city offers you an exciting adventure.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLY FOR THE FOLLOWING SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY ABROAD
1. SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY IN INDIA 2020-2021
3. SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY IN ISRAEL 2020-2021
4. LATEST SCHOLARSHIP TO STUDY ABROAD 2020-2021