Save the Slum Initiative is a non-governmental organization committed to respond to current needs to improve the life of people living in slums and local communities across Nigeria. We are managed by independent non-partisan indigenous professionals with experience in various fields of WASH, Education, Health and Livelihood of humanitarian sectors and community development projects as they have had special trainings in the sectors of humanitarian interventions programs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Financial Officer
Position Type: Full-Time
Organization Type: National Organization
- Reporting to the Executive Director, the Finance officer leads all day-to-day accounting operations, with functional responsibility for accounting, accounts payable, payroll, and grants administration.
- Responsibilities also include production of financial reports; proper maintenance of accounting records; accurate processing of financial transactions; and administration of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), adhere to grants management standards, and result in flawless audits.
- The Finance Manager supervises the Accounting and HR Associate in the areas of benefits administration, new-hire onboarding, and other related functions.
- Provide leadership to finance and accounting areas of the organization.
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy, and provide guidance and analysis to executive and operational management to improve results.
- Maintain system of accounts and keep books and records on all transactions and assets.
- Prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow.
- Maintain control of the following areas: general ledger, accounts payable, expense reports, billing, and payroll.
- Administer payroll, using various tools to deliver flawless payments.
- Supervise the Accounting and assign jobs relevant to accounts payable, accounts receivable, new-hire onboarding, benefits administration, and broker relationship management.
- Oversee maintenance of personnel files.
- Oversee in the management of grants reporting, compliance, and reconciliation.
- Prepare a variety of ad hoc financial scenarios as requested.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
- Manage, oversee, process (as appropriate), and act as backup for processing all of the following transactions: payroll, accounts payable, revenue and expense, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and allocations.
- Perform month-end closing procedures, including overhead allocations, account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Issues timely, accurate, and complete financial statements for all levels, including Board of Directors, executive, and management.
- Coordinate the preparation of the draft audited financial statements and all tax returns.
- Coordinate the preparation of financial information in the corporate annual report.
- Recommend and report upon benchmarks against which to measure organizational performance.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Production of cash flow reports, annual budget, and forecasts.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide financial analyses and models as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Prepare and assist with developing audit schedules for the annual audit.
- Suggest improvements in processes to increase organizational effectiveness.
- Gather information for the annual tax return.
- Oversee state registration filings.
- Have at least a Bachelor degree in Finance/ Accounting, Management Science, Audit or any other equivalent degree
- Minimum of 3 years of finance and accounting experience, including finance, accounting, audit, and analysis (including gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to management and external stakeholders).
- Solid experience in coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Nonprofit experience, with experience with fund/grants accounting preferred.
- Proficiency with Intacct or other accounting software and excellent Excel skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proactive, hands-on manager who will own, responsibility for the Finance Department
- Strategic thinker who possesses solid business acumen and is able to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact effectively with others, both internally and externally.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines while maintaining accuracy and quality.
- Proven ability to make complex and time-sensitive decisions in the best interests of the organization.
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the post holder to successfully perform the role:
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Organized, methodic and meticulous.
- Develops, motivates and coaches direct reports.
- Promotes innovation and learning.
- Gain develop and retain credibility about his/her Performance.
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice:
- Good management skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good team player
- Good negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications especially excel and pivot tables.
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Good accounting, analytical and judgement skills
- Good supervisory and coordination skills
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
- English, Hausa and other Nigerian languages are important assets
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Internally: Working closely with the Executive Director, collaborating with other functions-business development, HR, program, communications & Marketing to ensure that Finance processes are integrated and aligned.
- Externally: Effective communications with government revenue office, STSI’s partners and other stakeholders as deemed necessary.
- While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at the discretion of management.
- The position will be based in Abuja Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
29th February, 2020
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the Position Requirements, and Location to: Savethesluminitiative@gmail.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title, location in the subject line.
- Applicants are advised to provide their functional emails/mobile phone numbers on the application letter as well as three professional referees including their functional e-mail addresses and telephone numbers.
- Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- STSI has a Child Safeguarding policy in place and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CALL US TODAY FOR YOUR CV AND COVER LETTER WRITING CLICK HERE TO APPLY