Cuso International is a North American leading international development agency that works through volunteers to overcome poverty, operating in Nigeria for more than 60 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agricultural Field Officer
Location: Ogoja, Cross River State
Contract Type: Fixed-Term
- Cuso International, a Canadian development NGO, is implementing a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) supported project in Cross River and Benue States called Livelihood Enhancement in refugee settlements and in Refugee Holding Communities in Cross River and Benue States – (B-LIVER) which aims to improve livelihoods, increase income generation and self-reliance through sustainable enterprise development for Cameroonian refugees and host community members in Cross River and Benue States.
- This will be achieved through the implementation of livelihood interventions covering vocational and technical trainings, setting up of farm hubs, entrepreneurship and business management, life skills and access to agricultural / livestock / fisheries production.
- Under the supervision of Food Security and Livelihood Manager, the Agricultural Field Officer is responsible for the coordination and implementation of all agricultural activities within the project in accordance with best practices of the program.
- The Agric Field Officer is the primary liaison with Agric departments of the government and communities at the field office level. The position requires extensive field work and movement in project locations in Cross River and Benue States.
- Provide support in the implementation of a robust livelihoods and food security interventions;
- Interface and support program team members in project implementation and ensure workplan is followed closely;
- Actively engage in the beneficiary selection process under the guidance of Food Security and Livelihood (FSL) Program Manager and/Programme Team Leader;
- Support the FSL Manager in the design of various livelihood trainings and provide necessary technical support in the establishment of Farmer Field Schools;
- Identify, prioritize and support communities to implement potential livelihood strategies that are less sensitive to existing and potential hazards and resilient to disasters;
- Support the FSL Manager in the identification of sites for agric/farmers hub and provide technical oversite for the establishment of farms;
- Establish and oversee consultative processes between Farmer structures and target communities to identify, recommend, design, and develop projects for support;
- Identify potential beneficiaries/locations for project intervention and work towards addressing their demands according to program policy.
- Serve as point of contact to all relevant government departments and representatives, community and tribal leaders, local organizations and other partners.
- Establish and oversee the consultative processes with regards to access to land for farming, as well as participate in the monitoring of project implementation at the site,
- Monitor and report to senior management on project activities;
- Oversee the maintenance and submission of project management tools to ensure quality implementation of all agriculture projects and activities in timely fashion;
- Submit program-related reports as required; and
- Other duties as required.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Project Team in order to coordinate and maximize the efficiency of the project activities;
- Actively contribute to the successful monitoring and evaluation of the project;
- Participate actively in the implementation of the project agricultural strategy;
- Share relevant information with Project Team members on an ongoing basis; and
- Participate actively in the Project Team meetings and activities.
- Manage allocated budget in compliance with the procedures and policies of Cuso International; and
- Inform and advise the FSL Project Manager on project strategic directions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agric Engineering Agronomy, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development or related field required; Master’s degree is desirable.
- Minimum of five years of experience in agriculture project management, including design, development and oversight of small-scale rural agriculture projects;
- Knowledge in crop production, extension, aquaculture, vegetable gardening, livestock management, processing and setting up of Farmer Field Schools;
- Extensive experience in community participation and consultative-implementation methods;
- Possesses the knowledge and experience stakeholder engagement;
- In-depth knowledge of local government, culture and traditions;
- Creativity and analytical capacity to design and implement agriculture projects in a challenging environment;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work under pressure in challenging environments;
- Experience implementing donor-funded projects preferred especially donors such as UNHCR, WFP, FAO etc; and
- Excellent communication and presentation skills desired.
- Previous work experience in Cross River and Benue states;
- Interest and/or knowledge of international development issues, including humanitarian issues; and
- Previous experience working in an international volunteer sending organization in Africa generally, and Nigeria specifically.
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
CALL US TODAY FOR YOUR CV AND COVER LETTER WRITING CLICK HERE TO APPLY